Friday, April 24, 2009

Cavities

So yesterday I took Chloee to a Pediatric Dentist up in South Jordan. Our dentist referred us to him when Chloee wouldn't let him look at her teeth. She has spots on her teeth that he said were probably cavities, but without x-rays he's not sure and the pediatric dentist will be able to sedate her and fix them if needed.

So I took her to her appointment and you probably can guess how it went. She fought every bit of the way and would not let the dentist look in her mouth without force. She didn't even want to watch Bolt the movie on the TV above the dentist chair. I had to have Chloee straddle my lap and lay down in the dentist's lap holding her hands so he could get a look at her teeth. The verdict is that she has four cavities on her back molar teeth and one he thinks he is going to have to put a cap. When he told me this I felt like such a failure as a parent and could kick myself for letting her drink juice. From here on no more juice for her.

So the two options he gave me to fix her teeth were general anesthesia at a surgical center or having IV sedation in his office. I told him I didn't care I just wanted them fixed. His office was nice enough to call my insurance and find out the cheapest option. So we decided to have her go to the office and have IV sedation. At the same time they'll be able to get x-rays, clean her teeth and fix the cavities. We are a month away so I'll let you know how it all goes. So far Chloee has done well with only drinking water or milk, but we've only made it one day. Hopefully she'll see all the trouble we are going through to fix her teeth and she won't want to drink juice and eat as much sugar. The moral of the story is....brush you kids teeth and don't give them juice, be strict with the milk and water. Poor Brooke.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Chloee! I don't blame her. The dentist gives me anxiety! We're lucky that Jaxson likes the dentist! Hopefully Addison will follow in his footsteps! Good Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete